Ideally, the teeth under your porcelain veneers will remain as strong as ever. If you continue to follow recommendations for the care and cleaning of your teeth, you may never experience any problems with the teeth under your porcelain veneers. Proper care and cleaning means following your dentist’s instructions for brushing (at least twice a day, with a nonabrasive toothpaste), flossing (every day), and dental check-ups and cleanings (twice a year). If you do this, porcelain veneers will help protect and support your teeth.
However, if you do not follow proper care and maintenance for your porcelain veneers, you may be at risk for a serious compromise of your tooth structure. In particular, if you do not floss, you allow bacteria to harbor safely between teeth. From there, bacteria can begin to attack your teeth at the edge of the veneer, increasing the size of their harborage. They can eventually create a cavity behind the veneer, which may be difficult to detect until you begin to feel that the tooth has been compromised.
By the time you know your tooth has been compromised, it may already be too late. You may need a root canal to preserve your teeth. Or we may be unable to restore the tooth which will then have to be extracted to make way for a dental implant.
If you are considering porcelain veneers, it’s important to remember that the longevity of your results depends in large measure on how well you keep up your regular oral hygiene. If you have more questions about porcelain veneers, please schedule a consultation at Miami Designer Smiles to talk to a cosmetic dentist.
Making decisions about replacing missing teeth is always difficult, but if can be especially so when you have only one or two good teeth in an arch and are trying to make a decision about whether to retain those teeth or extract them and replace the entire arch using dental implants. In general, it is best to retain natural teeth rather than replace them with restorations, but in this situation, there are many reasons why removing the teeth may be a better option.
You may be able to use existing teeth as anchors for partial restorations, similar to the way dental bridges are supported. However, this would require putting a dental crown on the existing teeth, which means removing much of the original tooth, defeating the purpose of retaining tooth structure.
You must consider whether there is sufficient bone density in the places where implants would be located to construct the partial arch restorations. Depending on when you lost your teeth and the cause of tooth loss, you may need a bone graft before considering partial arch restorations.
Using partial restorations may actually increase the number of dental implants necessary. Nobel BioCare’s All-on-4 restoration system uses only four implants to securely replace an entire arch of teeth.
The cost may also be greater for assembling partial restorations. In addition to reducing the number of implants necessary, the All-on-4 system is an established technology that increases the efficiency and decreases the cost for restoring an entire arch of teeth.
Finally, you also have to consider the length of recovery and how long until you see your final results. The All-on-4 system allows for you to get your new teeth in one day. On the other hand, using partial reconstructions may take months, especially if bone grafts are necessary.
During your consultation with a skilled cosmetic dentist at Miami Designer Smiles, you can discuss your options and the advantages or disadvantages of each choice so you can make the right decision for your smile. Please contact us today to schedule your consultation.
Porcelain veneers are designed to be long-lasting dental restorations, but they are not permanent. Clinical studies have shown that 95% of porcelain veneers last 11 years or more. That means that if you have 12 porcelain veneers placed, six above and six below, there is a 60% chance that within 11 years you will have to replace one veneer, and a 40% chance you won’t have to replace any. That is, if you do everything necessary to ensure the best results from your porcelain veneers.
To maximize the lifetime of your porcelain veneers, you should:
- Follow our care instructions. Mostly this means making your regular dental appointments and not using an abrasive toothpaste.
- Don’t use your teeth as tools. Your teeth should be used for smiling and chewing, not opening bottles, cracking nuts, breaking ice, or biting any non-food object.
- Get your veneers from a neuromuscular dentist. Bad bite can be rough on your teeth. Many of the problems you wanted to correct with porcelain veneers may reoccur if you don’t have your bite resolved before treatment. A neuromuscular dentist can evaluate your bite to be sure it won’t result in any significant damage to your veneers.
Porcelain veneers are one of the most successful treatment options in cosmetic dentistry. To learn how this procedure can help you, please contact a cosmetic dentist at Miami Designer Smiles today.
This is a very difficult question to answer because it’s hard to know. You might consider a comparison with different objects to get perspective on the question.
On the one hand, porcelain veneers are an aesthetic object, like a Grecian urn. Like the Grecian urn, they pass their days uttering “Beauty is truth, truth beauty” every time you smile. And like the Grecian urn, they have the ability to outlive us all, and, who knows, perhaps in some strange distant future will end up in a museum somewhere, perhaps on a different planet telling the story of humanity to alien children or discovered in a cave to prove that men really did have a civilization before the apes.
On the other hand, porcelain veneers are a tool, like a hammer. Properly cared for, a hammer will last a really long time, but if left out in the rain it will rust and if used for something other than its intended purpose it may break. Porcelain veneers become part of your teeth and they assist in the job of chewing. When properly cared for and used for their intended purpose, they can last a very long time. In normal situations, clinical studies have shown that 95% of porcelain veneers are intact 11 years after placement. But if you neglect them or use them inappropriately (say as bottle openers or nutcrackers), they can fail much sooner.
At Miami Designer Smiles our cosmetic dentists will not only expertly place your well-crafted porcelain veneers, but also give you detailed care instructions so they will remain, capable of shedding light in the midst of other woes. Please contact us today to schedule your consultation.
If you are concerned about stained teeth, there are many ways to prevent it. The first way to prevent staining of your teeth is to cut down on staining foods and habits. The worst things for staining your teeth are:
- Black tea
- Red wine
If you cut down on these foods, you will dramatically decrease the staining of your teeth. However, many of us have trouble giving up these foods and habits. It is very difficult to quit smoking, and many people are only able to kick coffee by substituting it with black tea. And how else will you unwind after work if you give up your glass of red wine?
The next best thing you can do to reduce the staining of your teeth is to make your regular dental appointments. Professional cleanings can remove a lot of stains before they become deeply embedded in your enamel. And protecting your enamel with good oral hygiene will prevent it from thining, which will allow the discoloring dentin underneath to show through.
Finally, if you are still unhappy with your discolored teeth, you can improve their color with a teeth whitening procedure. The best procedure for long-term correction of discolored teeth is a system with take-home trays that allow you to whiten your teeth the same way they get stained–a little bit every day. This type of procedure will keep your teeth as white as the enamel will allow.
To learn more about teeth whitening, please schedule a consultation at Miami Designer Smiles today.