Miami and Coral Gables, Florida
Temporomandibular joint disorder (TMD) is a condition that occurs when the joint that connects your jaw to your skull (your temporomandibular joint) becomes misaligned. It affects millions of Americans and results in chronic, debilitating pain. Miami neuromuscular dentists Dr. Raul Garcia and Dr. Conchi Sanchez-Garcia can diagnose and treat the symptoms of TMD, giving you relief from this painful condition.
Patients suffering from TMD can exhibit a wide variety of symptoms, including:
- Jaw pain
- Facial pain
- Clicking or popping jaw
- Locking of the jaw joint, limiting its range of motion
- Ringing ears (tinnitus)
- Congested or stuffy ears
- Headaches (often misdiagnosed as migraines)
- Neck and shoulder pain
- Difficulty chewing
- Uneven or uncomfortable bite
Untreated TMD can mean a lifetime of chronic pain and progressive damage to your teeth and jaw. TMD can be successfully treated using the principles of neuromuscular dentistry.
TMD treatment is different for each person and depends on the nature of your condition. Our Miami neuromuscular dentists will first work to relieve the pain caused by your TMD. Once you experience relief from the pain, the underlying cause of your condition will be addressed.
Your treatment may include one or more of the following:
- Medications to alleviate the pain, such as painkillers, tricyclic antidepressants, muscle relaxants, or corticosteroid drugs
- Bite guard to prevent you from grinding your teeth while you sleep
- Dental restorations intended to improve the alignment of your bite
- Orthotic mouthpieces to help move your jaw back into proper alignment
- Surgery – reserved only for severe cases (less than 1%)
For further information, please see Questions about TMJ Disorder and TMJ Symptoms.
Please contact our Miami neuromuscular dentists today to schedule your initial appointment. Miami Designer Smiles serves patients in the Miami and Coral Gables, Florida area.