Miami and Coral Gables, Florida
A root canal is performed to prevent tooth loss following damage to the soft core of your tooth (the pulp). During the procedure, Miami dentists Dr. Raul Garcia and Dr. Conchi Sanchez-Garcia will remove the damaged nerve and pulp, clean and seal the inside of the tooth, and place a dental crown on the tooth to provide strength and support.
Why is a Root Canal Important?
When your tooth has a cavity, the bacteria from the cavity could spread to the nerve or pulp of your tooth and infect it. If the infection spreads to the ends of your tooth’s root, you may develop an abscess as well. An abscess is a puss-filled pocket that forms at the end of your tooth’s root. This process may or may not be accompanied by pain.
Other issues caused by an infection inside your tooth include:
- Swelling that can spread throughout your face, neck, or head
- Bone loss near the tip of the tooth’s root
- Drainage issues
- Tooth loss
Warning Signs that You May Need a Root Canal
While an infection or abscess may develop without any clear symptoms, the following issues may be a good indication that you need a root canal:
- Severe toothache pain that is unprovoked or begins as a result of chewing
- Prolonged sensitivity to heat or cold
- Tooth discoloration
- Gum swelling and tenderness
- A recurring pimple on the gums
- Ear or jaw pain
Exceptional Root Canal Treatment
While Dr. Sanchez-Garcia performs most of our root canals, both of our dentists have considerable experience with this procedure and regularly achieve exceptional results.
The majority of our root canals are completed in one visit. The instruments used by our Miami endodontists are as close to silent as possible. Once you have been anesthetized, you will not feel any pain. In fact, many of our patients are often amazed at how easy and painless the procedure is. If necessary, Dr. Garcia and Dr. Sanchez-Garcia will administer pain medication to reduce any discomfort you may experience.
Our dentists use the most advanced technology to ensure the highest quality results for your root canal:
- Rotary instrumentation is used to make the procedure go faster.
- Justwo apex locator – a sensor is placed on your lip and attached to the instruments that clean out your tooth enabling our dentists to know precisely where they are inside your tooth. This saves a great deal of time since it eliminates the need for x-rays during your treatment. As an additional benefit, using an apex locator cuts down on needless radiation produced by taking x-rays.
- Satelac ultrasonic device provides a specific, delicate way of removing tooth structure so our dentists don’t remove any more than is necessary. This device also helps clean out the tooth more quickly, reducing the time it takes to complete your procedure.
- An electric hand piece is used to prepare the tooth and remove decay.
Please contact our Miami endodontists today to schedule your root canal treatment. Miami Designer Smiles serves patients in the Miami and Coral Gables, Florida area.